Yes, you must be a US citizen to apply to be a State Trooper.
Yes, as long as you turn 21 by the start of the academy.
No, as long as you are able to perform the essential functions of an Alaska State Trooper.
Provided your academy meets APSC training standards, most will attend the full 18 week academy, though you would be considered a State Trooper, not a recruit, and be paid as such.

On a case by case basis, some academy training will suffice so that the lateral applicant/hire can bypass most of our academy. Some specific training (three to five weeks) will still be required (Alaska law, DPS policy, Use of Force, etc.)
No, we do not pay for the applicant to travel to Alaska. However, we do currently reimburse the applicant whom we hire, up to $10,000 after they have graduated from our 18 week training academy and move to Alaska.
We currently have a 401K-style retirement, consisting of three separate investment accounts. The primary account, known as Tier IV, includes a state matched contribution plan, managed by Great West Investments of Alaska.

State employees are vested at 5 years. You need 25 years of service for full medical retirement (any age - for public safety employees only). See pay and benefits tab.
Yes, within the background packet it will ask for your status with regards to your military service. If we see you are still active, we will not ask for a DD-214 until we know you are discharged. You will need to provide a letter from your commander stating when you are expected to be released and the type of discharge you are expected to receive.
Yes, if hired on as AWT, you’ll attend the DPS Academy, then complete a full AST Field Training and Evaluation Program, followed by an AWT Field Training and Evaluation Program.
No, as long as you are able to perform the essential functions of an Alaska State Trooper.
We do have a delayed entry program. Applicants eligible for delayed entry are: US Military, student (attending higher education) or under an employment contract. You would apply for the academy that starts before you complete your prior commitment. We have 2 academies a year; Spring (starts mid-February) and Fall (starts late July). The applications for these academies open approximately 7-11 months prior to the given academy (we have two periods during which we accept applications for a given academy). You would have to be available for all testing, including the background investigation phase (conducted over the phone and through email) and if selected for the testing in Anchorage. If you receive a confirmed job offer but are unable to attend the academy due to prior commitment (military, higher education, or employment contract) the department will hold your position until the next academy, dependent upon approval of delayed entry.
Within our department we have both commissioned (State Trooper) and civilian aircraft pilots, with the vast majority being commissioned. In order to qualify for consideration into the DPS pilot program you must have a 2nd class medical, a private pilot certificate and at least 100 hours with 25 hours of that being Alaska time. The minimum number of hours will depend on the type of aircraft authorized to fly. As an example, 100 hours would be the minimum for the Super Cubs or 172s, 3,000 hours and an ATP certificate would be the minimum to fly as PIC in the King Air. The primary flight crew for the King Air and AStar Helicopters are civilian pilot positions. There are also a few civilian pilot positions in Fairbanks and Western Alaska locations like Bethel and Kotzebue. There are some commissioned state troopers who are checked out in every aircraft we have, including the AStars and King Air. The commissioned DPS pilots use the department aircraft like patrol vehicles. Our aircraft section is currently the largest of any state police agency in the US, with 43 aircraft. We have a wide variety:
  • 1 - King Air 350ER
  • 2 - Airbus Astar B3e
  • 2 - Cessna 208 Caravan
  • 3 - Robinson R44
  • 2 - Cessna 172 (180 horse)
  • 1 - Cessna 182 (300 horse)
  • 2 - Cessna 206
  • 6 - Cessna 185
  • 24 - Piper Super Cubs
Occasionally there are civilian pilot positions that become available, but they seem to be few and far between. If you have aspirations of becoming a pilot for the State Troopers in Alaska, the best way, by far, is through the application process to become a trooper. If hired, once you are off of probation (one year of employment), and when /if in a location where there is a need for another DPS pilot, you could go through the process of selection and training to become one. Although there is no guarantee of becoming a DPS pilot when hired, as flight authorization lies solely with DPS, the department is continuously in need of more pilots. There is an additional duty pay, which all authorized commissioned pilots received, if under the rank of sergeant. It is 5% of your hourly pay rate.
No, to apply for recruit, no law enforcement experience is required.
No, all of our Troopers are full time.
The application process usually takes 7-8 months from start to finish. The background investigation phase, which is conducted over the phone and through email, is the longest phase of the process, usually taking approximately 5 months. Once this phase is complete, we will know if you are selected for the remainder of the testing in Anchorage. For this phase, we will ask that you be available for approximately 10-12 days in Anchorage.
Unfortunately, we are not able to send the background packet until you successfully complete the application online or by hard copy.
Yes, a hard copy application can be mailed to you or you can print it off from Workplace Alaska. Though you will need internet access during the background investigation phase.
We hire four times a year, for two academies: Spring (February) and Fall (July) academies.
The recruitment supervisors will ask your preference, among the three training post of Soldotna, Fairbanks and Palmer. The department will try their best to get you your number one choice, but ultimately, it is up to the department’s needs.
If you are an Alaskan resident and over 18, you can apply for a position called Public Safety Technician (PST). PSTs work hand in hand with the Wildlife Troopers and the majority of PST positions are seasonal. These positions are usually open early spring and can be found on Workplace Alaska.
Yes, please visit, before applying on Workplace Alaska, to complete the test.

If you reside outside of Alaska, Idaho or Washington State, you will need to contact Public Safety Testing directly to coordinate to have the test proctored in your local area
Yes, we can pro-rate the certified officer’s time and experience. If that meets our year requirement (i.e. the officer has worked 20 hours a week for two years) they would qualify for lateral hire. If the pro-rated time does not meet our one year of experience requirement, they will not qualify for lateral hire.
Unfortunately, the Tier IV retirement system is a defined contribution, military time will not count toward retirement. Military experience will not increase your pay, though your experience will make you more competitive during promotions and selection for specialized assignments.
The minimum educational requirement to apply is a high school diploma or GED. There is not a specific degree required to obtain, as any degree can be useful in law enforcement. Education incentive pay of 3.75% pay increase is currently offered to Troopers possessing a Bachelor’s Degree.
To Whom it may concern or The Recruitment Unit.
Unfortunately, no. A State Trooper Lateral is distinguished from State Trooper Recruit by having completed an acceptable basic law enforcement training program. To qualify you must possess an active police certification and at least one year of patrol experience as a full time police officer in a certified State or Municipal law enforcement agency. Special Agents who have successfully completed their prospective training academy and at least one year of law enforcement experience with the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) or Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (BATFE) are eligible for Lateral Hire.
As of right now, we do not have a tattoo policy.
Unfortunately, no extensions will be granted on the postmark deadline.
Yes, letters of recommendation may be mailed or emailed directly to the Recruitment Unit. You may also send recommendations with your background packet.