VCCB > Victims > Appeals


How Does the Board Make A Decision?

The State of Alaska, Department of Administration, Violent Crimes Compensation Board was created by State law in 1972 and is made up of three volunteer members appointed by the Governor. The Board meets approximately six times each year to determine crime victim compensation claims. The Board has the legal authority to award, reduce, deny, defer or close claims. The decision is based on evidence and information received from law officers, prosecution officials, medical and mental health treatment providers, employers, and other claim/crime related information.

Your Rights

The following is intended to give you information on how to request a reconsideration of the decision on your crime victim compensation claim when you feel the decision on your claim was wrong.


If you are dissatisfied with the amount of an awarded claim, you can ask the Board to reconsider your claim by writing the Board at this office. In your letter state the following:

  • You are requesting a reconsideration of the decision; and
  • Additional information the Board should consider.

The claim will then be reconsidered the next time the Board meets.

A Hearing

If the Board denied your claim and you do not agree with the decision, you may request a hearing of your claim. A hearing would be held.
The hearing would be informal and designed to allow you to provide additional information and testimony pertinent to your claim. To request a hearing you must send a letter to the Board at this office within 30 days of your receipt of the denial notice. The letter should contain the following:

  • You are requesting a hearing;
  • You are requesting a hearing; decision was wrong; and
  • The names and addresses of any witnesses you’d like to be present at the hearing

You will be notified in writing of the place, time, and date of the hearing which you must attend. At the hearing, you may have an attorney present and should bring to the hearing or arrange with us to have any additional information or witnesses present.
After the hearing, the Hearing Officer makes a recommendation to the Board. At the next meeting, the Board makes a final decision concerning the claim. You will be notified in writing of that decision.

Court Appeal

If you do not agree with the Board’s final decision, you may request an appeal. To request an appeal, you must contact the Superior Court within 30 days of your receipt of the final denial notice.

Victim Advocacy

If you would like to talk with an advocate in your area during this process, call or write to us and we will locate an advocate for you.


You may be represented by attorney at the hearing. The Board can only pay attorney fees related to the filing of your claim if the claim is awarded.
Appeals Pamphlet (pdf)