By the early 1950's, the federal Department of Justice recognized the increasing law enforcement needs of the Territory, particularly in the bush areas of Alaska. The Territorial Legislature responded in 1953 by establishing the Alaska Territorial Police to provide law enforcement services for the entire Territory. Total strength: 36 officers. The Alaska Highway Patrol had already gained a reputation as an elite corps, and formal training became a hallmark of the new Territorial Police. As the officers began to serve in remote posts, they gained a reputation for integrity and capability - a reputation which has been carried forward to the present day.
During Governor Wally Hickel's first administration in 1967, the name was changed to the Alaska State Troopers. Under commissioner Mel Personett, the Troopers focused their work in areas of Alaska not being served by community police, and began to offer more sophisticated services to law enforcement organizations statewide. Also in 1967 the Public Safety Training Academy saw its first year of operation.
5700 East Tudor Road
Anchorage, AK 99507
Phone: (907) 269-5511