Concealed Handgun Permits

To obtain a new Alaska Concealed Handgun

Before applying for an ACHP, please read Alaska Statutes 18.65.700 through 18.65.790 and Alaska Regulations
13 AAC 30.010 through 13 AAC 30.900 and ensure you meet all the qualifications and requirements. Your signature on the application affirms you understand these laws. The “Concealed Handguns Information” tab includes a booklet of these statutes and regulations.

The applicant must:

  • Be 21 years old or older.
  • Be an Alaska resident and have lived in the state for more than 90 days. No non-resident permits are issued.
  • Be eligible under federal and state laws and regulations to possess a firearm.
  • Not be convicted of two or more Class A misdemeanors of Alaska or similar laws in any other jurisdiction within the six years immediately preceding the application.
  • Not be currently under order nor in the three years immediately preceding the application have been under order to complete an alcohol or substance abuse treatment program.
  • Successfully complete a handgun competency course that is approved by the department within the 12 months prior to the application. (a list of approved courses is available from the Permits and Licensing Unit upon request) Don’t waste your time and money – there are no online or correspondence courses or programs outside of Alaska that are approved.
  • Prepare their application in writing on the form provided in the “Concealed Handguns Forms” tab. The form is included in a step-by-step guide booklet. An applicant who supplies false statements, answers to questions, or documents may be prosecuted for unsworn falsification.
  • Submit fingerprint, photograph, competency course certificate, and current information as described in the application package.
  • The fees for the new permit are $88.25. Fees are not refundable if the permit is not approved.

For NICS Exempt: An applicant who wants the permit to be “NICS Exempt” must also fill out the “NICS Exempt concealed handgun permit supplement” form. It is included in the Permit Application and Permit Renewal packages and also as a stand-alone form on the Concealed Handguns Forms tab.

To renew a permit:

Alaska concealed carry permits expire on the permit holder’s birthday in the fifth year after their last birthday. The duration of the license will be adjusted so that it does not exceed five years.

A permit holder may renew their permit beginning 90 days before its expiration date. Renewal forms may be downloaded and completed by hand or may be filled out on line and printed out. The form and instruction package are on the “Concealed Handguns Forms” tab. The renewal form must have an original signature and must be accompanied by payment of fees and a new photograph. The renewal form may be submitted by mail, delivery service, or in person.

The fee for renewal made during the 90 days before the permit expires is $25.00.

Renewals are late if they are made after the permit has expired. A late renewal may be made up to 60 days after expiration. The fee for late renewal is $50.00.

Permits may not be renewed after they have been expired more than 60 days. If the holder desires a permit after 60 days, the “new permit” process must be completed, including completion of a new competency course.

There is no requirement to return the expired permit to the permits office.

To Replace a permit:


A lost, stolen, or damaged permit that is still within its valid period may be replaced by completing the replacement request form and submitting the form, payment of fees, and a new photograph.

The permit replacement form and instruction package is available for download on the “Concealed Handguns Forms” tab. It may be printed out and completed by hand, or it may be filled in online. If the form is filled in online, it must still be printed out for an original signature and submitted in hardcopy. The form must be submitted in person to an office of the Department of Public Safety or to a municipal police agency that is authorized to accept the forms and verify the holder’s identification.

The fee for replacing a permit is $25.

There is no requirement to return the damaged permit to the permit office.

To change an address or update information

Changes of information on a valid permit must be reported in writing to the Department of Public Safety within 30 days after the change.

Address change:  An “address Change” form and instructions is in the “Concealed Handguns Forms” tab and is recommended for use to change an address. Notification of address change can also be by letter or email. Delivery to the Permits and Licensing Unit may be by email, letter, fax, or personal delivery.

There is no fee for change of address.

Change of name: A change of name or other information that will require a new permit to be issued, such as through marriage or a court decree, must be reported to the Department of Public Safety within 30 days of the change. A copy of the document that caused the change and a written request must be faxed, mailed, or delivered to the Department of Public Safety.

The fee to change data that requires a new permit be printed is $25.00.
The old permit does not have to be returned.


Please see current forms on the Concealed Handguns Main Page