The minimum qualifications for the position of State Trooper Recruit/Lateral are outlined below.
Must be a citizen (including US Nationals) of the United States of America.
Must be 21 years of age or older* at the start of the academy .
Must be conversant in both spoken and written English.
Most possess a high school diploma or have passed a General Education Development (GED) test.
* There is no upper age limit; if you can pass the physical fitness test and medical screening, you could be hired.
Must possess a valid driver’s license issued within the United States or its Territories.
Must be free of excessive moving violations and recent license actions (canceled, revoked, suspended, limited, or SR-22 requirement).
Drug use/abuse is closely scrutinized and recent drug use may be cause for elimination from the hiring process, including:
- Marijuana use within the last year
- Use of illegal narcotics within the last ten years
- Manufacture/sale of illegal narcotics as an adult
- Illegal drug use while employed in a law enforcement position
- Prescription drug use without a prescription unless there was an immediate, pressing, or emergency medical circumstance to justify the use
Adult criminal history is closely scrutinized and the following may be cause for elimination from the hiring process:
- Felony conduct as an adult
- Misdemeanor convictions within the last ten years
- Any conviction related to domestic violence
The above qualifications constitute a summary of major elements in both the Alaska Police Standards Council regulations and Department of Public Safety Selection Criteria. More specific questions should be directed to our DPS Recruitment Unit office at email@example.com or by calling (907) 269-5976.